Diabetes and Energy Medicine
By Melanie Smith, ap, dom
Author of Energy Medicine for Healthy Living™ Resources
I recently learned that *8.1 million women in the United States have Diabetes and it is on the rise. While there are two types of diabetes, (Type I and II), it is Type II that develops after the age of 40. It usually progresses slowly and can go unidentified for many years. Let's empower ourselves by looking at what causes this illness and how can we prevent it.
What is Type II Diabetes and How is it Caused?
Type II Diabetes occurs when the cells in the body reject insulin or the body is not producing enough insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is essential for the body to use glucose for energy. When we eat food, our body converts sugars and starches into glucose to give our cells fuel to function. It is the role of Insulin to take the glucose (sugar), from the blood and transport into the cells. When insulin is not being produced properly, there is a build up of sugar in the blood preventing absorption into the cells. This is when diabetic complications occur.
There are several factors associated with Type II Diabetes:
- Genetics: There is a tendency for Type II Diabetes to run in the family, but don't let that "energetic thought," become a reality for you as there are lots of ways to prevent this illness
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Overweight and Obesity
- High Blood Pressure
- High Fat Diet
- High Alcohol Intake
Prevention: exercise regularly, eat healthy (green rich diet), eliminate or reduce alcohol consumption, avoid all artificial sugar substitutes like aspartame and use the energy medicine tips described below to restore harmony.
Common Symptoms of Type II Diabetes?
It is important to note that symptoms will vary from person to person.
- Frequent urination
- Areas of skin darkening
- Weight loss
- Still hungry after eating
- Increased thirst
- Feeling of weakness and tiredness
- Loss of consciousness, (this symptom is rare)
- Slow healing
- Blurred vision
- Urinary tract infections
Energy Medicine Quick Tips for Diabetes
For Diabetes, it is vitally important to work your Spleen energy to bring balance back to your blood sugar. In Oriental Medicine the energies of Spleen and Pancreas are treated together. Your primary focus would be to strengthen the Spleen Meridian and Organ. This can be done a number of ways. The best place to begin is by:
1. Sedating Triple Warmer Meridian as it first draws energy from the Spleen compounding the deficiency. Pick your favorite method by using Triple Warmer Acupressure Sedating Points, do the Triple Warmer Smoothie, or hold the Triple Warmer Neurovascular Points.
2. Strengthen Spleen Meridian to help create a new pattern of insulin production in the Pancreas. You can begin by holding Spleen Acupressure Strengthening Points, tap or massage Spleen Neurolymphatic Reflex Points, tap or massage the Spleen Source Point (SP 3), or flush the Spleen Meridian by tracing it backwards one time and forward three times.
3. To promote overall health and wellness and maintain vitality, you will want to commit to doing The Daily Energy Routine and check for any Homolateral energy imbalance. Substance testing for foods, nutritional supplements and medications by a qualified Energy Medicine Advanced Practitioner will assist the Spleen in proper metabolism and improve blood sugar balance. Also doing the Triple Warmer / Spleen hug several times a day will harmonize and support these two systems.
Five Areas Diabetics Should Monitor Carefully
There are a lot of complications caused by diabetes that require extra attention. If you have diabetes, make sure you monitor these five areas on a regular basis.
Understand how diabetes alters the way food affects your body. Know the signs of low blood sugar. Have a plan in place to correct your blood sugar levels when necessary.
Diabetics have a higher risk of heart attacks and stroke. Optimal cholesterol and blood pressure goals are lower for diabetics.
Due to higher blood sugar levels, bacteria grow and infections develop more quickly. Treating infections early on can prevent serious complications later.
Diabetics may suffer from neuropathy, or nerve damage in their feet and can get an injury or serious infection without feeling it. Give your feet a regular visual check.
Exercise has been shown to decrease blood sugars and improve insulin resistance, the main issue for those with type II diabetes.
Melanie Smith is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture Physician, Certified Eden Energy Medicine Practitioner, Licensed Massage Therapist and Feng Shui Consultant. Dr. Melanie’s work weaves Body, Mind and Spirit to help her patients fully realize a personal vision of wellness. She believes in empowering the patient through education and participation in their own healing process to awaken the healer within. Dr. Melanie is also senior faculty for Donna Eden the author of the books Energy Medicine and Energy Medicine for Women and facilitates a monthly Energy Medicine Study Group. She travels the country speaking and teaching on The Power of Energy Medicine and is the author of the Energy Medicine for Healthy Living™ Color Laminated Charts and DVD's.
Melanie and her partner Pauline co-own Well Within Natural Medicine, Inc., located in St. Petersburg, Florida where she integrates a variety of energetic, emotional, and therapeutic bodywork techniques, as well as, homeopathy, herbs and nutritional supplements. In 2005 Melanie and Pauline facilitated the Energy Medicine Tour to China.
Dr. Melanie is a member of the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, American Assoication of Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Alliance, Florida State Oriental Medical Association, Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals, East West College Alumni Association, and the Pearls of Wisdom Council.
Vist Dr. Melanie's Website at:
Click For- Free Newsletter and EBook